[GRLUG] Top 100

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 10:40:54 EDT 2007

On 4/10/07, Justin Denick <justin.denick at gmail.com> wrote:
> As gentoo user, I'd have to say that rpm and deb have built in flaws.
>    1. Do you really know what's being installed or why

For DEB distros, sure. You can use aptitude to examine the dependency
tree, and you can use dpkg to examine the contents of a DEB file.  I'm
sure you can examine the contents of RPMs, but I don't know the
commands.

>    2. There is no sandbox approach, and broken packages will happily
> install

This is true of apt, but I haven't had any such issues with yum. (See
my other email.)

>  But the speed of precompiled binaries is pretty smooth.

Speed of install.  But I imagine throwing -j2 as a make argument on
Gentoo with a dual-core system is pretty smooth.  And the resulting
binaries more so.