[GRLUG] sound issue

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 02:24:18 EDT 2007

On 4/7/07, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not getting sound from web sites
> running under Firefox.  Sound works
> in other ways,  so it's not a hardware
> issue.  e.g.,  RealPlayer works fine.
>
> Some daemon stopped running?
>
> Before I reboot,  does anyone have a
> suggestion here as to what I can run?

GNOME or KDE?  Do you typically have esd or aRts running?

Also, have you upgraded to Flash Player 9?

I'd suggest closing Firefox, then using ps and kill to make sure every
last instance is dead.  Flash player's sound thread is buggy, and
sometimes goes on running when it shouldn't.  I usually end up with
that problem after I leave the browser running for a few days.

Flash Player doesn't support sound daemons or ALSA; It operates
through the OSS emulation layer.  Check to see if you can write to
/dev/dsp.  If you can't, then something's got a lock on your sound
card.  It might be a sound daemon, or a VoIP app like Teamspeak, or
even an old Flash Player thread.