[GRLUG] Apple did it already (was: Proof of concept)

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 17:42:15 EDT 2007

On 4/6/07, Roberto Villarreal <rvillarreal at mktec.com> wrote:
> I actually anticipated that someone would bring that up :-).  However, I think
> it'd be safe to say that for the "normal" people (and even probably most
> technical people), they backup for purposes of "catastrophe", i.e. hard drive
> dies.  But unless you are actually backing up for "archiving" purposes (i.e.
> where's that file I worked on last year?), chances are your backup(s) are all
> still going to be virus-laden... doesn't do you a whole lot of good!  While
> it is SOP for most businesses, it's probably out of scope for your typical
> home user (technical or otherwise).

Without backups of some sort, a misplaced kick during a drive write, a
yanked power chord at an in-opportune time, a brownout, a curious cat
/ toddler / regular user, a natural disaster, a window left open
during the rain, a break-in, an angry teen, a loose data cable, a
dying fan...  any of these can cause data corruption or complete loss.

Viri / worms / malware are merely another item on a very very long list.

Anyone without backups of some sort - even if it's just a compilation
of family photos on CDs given to everyone at the yearly holiday -
_will_ lose their data.  It's only a matter of time.

--tim