[GRLUG] Apple did it already (was: Proof of concept)

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Fri Apr 6 14:09:59 EDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 01:53:07PM -0400, Tim Schmidt wrote:
> On 4/6/07, Roberto Villarreal <rvillarreal at mktec.com> wrote:
> > But if he was to get some kind of
> > userland virus (open source programs do still have bugs, remember!), it
> > would, as far as he's concerned, destroy his system.  It doesn't matter that
> > the system is still running... it is the *user data* that determines the
> > worth of a user's computer.
>
> Precisely the type of data for which you should have good backups.  :)

One could add an extra drive (small) and use rsync to copy the user
data on a regular basis.  By configuring rsync to not delete the copy
when the original is deleted, one would have a good backup should the
original be deleted (intentionally or otherwise).  I do this with my
system (well, except for not deleting copies of deleted originals).
--
john-thomas
------