[GRLUG] Apple did it already (was: Proof of concept)

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Fri Apr 6 12:37:51 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 01:22 -0400, Marc Zuverink wrote:

> http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2007-040516-4947-99

Heck, Apple did the same thing a few years ago. Except now its been
tailored. AND its not really a real compromise.

It is the same thing that all "linux" supposed viruseseses are, a
userland tool. It screws up their (a user's) stuff, and doesn't affect
the system, no wash and rinse of the machine needed, just the user.

Herein lies the fundamental difference (even now with Vista), where
userland screws up the whole machine, needing a removal and re-install.

This is crap and you all know it. They are preying on the "unwashed
masses" derelict knowledge, by "unwashed masses" I mean Windows users
that "click or auto-run all the bad stuff, repeatedly".

I have to deal with unwashed masses often enough I am glad I don't have
to deal with it at home, but other family falls into this category.
friends and neighbors also fall into this category.

One neighbor, repeatedly disables his "stupid Windows firewall" because
it always asks him questions and same with his Virus thinger. Then calls
me to have me to fix it and repeatedly. I started charging him $100 a
pop. That lasted a few time, now he calls others and last I heard, he
took it to geek squad and got charged $300. All because he doesn't like
that dam pesky asking questions thing. This is not that rare.

Also, another person I know, just approves everything without reading,
same difference. Until he gets a program that disables it all for him.
This also is not rare.

So, everytime I see a "Proof of Concept" Linux virus, it never affects
Linux, always something in userland, and now this again affect iPod
users. Re-Flash the iPod and reload the music. Something that happens
all the time already, for a significant number of iPod owners.

Meh!
greg, greg at gregfolkert.net

Some day, after we have mastered the wind,
the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire.

Teilhard de Chardin