[GRLUG] Dell gives the go-ahead for Linux

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 08:27:21 EDT 2007

Really interesting idea.  I could see this working.

Just so you know. The thoughts below are brain storming ideas and I
haven't thought of the full ramifications yet.  I am typing whatever I
think of.

We could have another list set up for the attendees of said sessions.
This list would be to provide first level support of the OS.
Questions like "How do I get youTube working" or where is the photo
editing application.  I don't think this group would want a to be
flooded with those questions, and I don't think the general populous
would be interested to have our discussions in their inbox.

What could we do about deeper more involved questions?  I don't think
Linux is at the point yet where everything works and first level
support is all we are going to need.  What about getting some hardware
to play nice.  There are bound to be a few that need some serious
work.  Should we have regular meetings where we can point the people
to, and say "Come bring your computer and we'll see what we can do"?
These meeting could be the very same 2hr sessions that Szymon
mentioned.

On 4/3/07, Szymon Machajewski <SMachaje at grcc.edu> wrote:
> If the Linux on Dell idea becomes a reality in stores, maybe it would make sens to approach local retailers with some  GRLUG offers.
>
> We could finalize some thoughts ahead of time.
>
> What if GRLUG provided 2 hr session on how to use Linux workstations - "Linux for home use".  The local stores could advertise such sessions, the hardware used would be what is currently available on the shelf.
> The presenters could benefit either by getting store discounts or symbolic sign up fees.

> I saw an advertisement in the paper recently for a dell desktop with AMD
> chips, thought I was seeing things and then double checked it. I didn't look
> into it though, I've replaced enough of Dells HDD and power supplies to not
> want one. If they turned tech support around and either made their own
> retail store a la Apple or got into other retail stores like Best Buy and
> others they might have a chance, but HP has its own printers (not rebranded
> lexmark junk) and is in retail everywhere, so they are way ahead of the game
> on that one.
>
> On 3/30/07, Nathan Drier <ndrier at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've heard some fuss about how the pre-installed Linux machines from Dell
> > might actually cost MORE than a pre-installed MS box.  I remember back when
> > Dell was offering some 'open source' PC's...and MS came down on them hard
> > saying that when people buy a box without windows loaded on it...it supports
> > piracy.
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/06/dell_open_pc/
> >
> > Its an old link....but I wouldn't be surprised if we see the same thing
> > happen with the new Dell Linux boxes.
> >
> > Another way I look at it is that Linux users generally don't need
> > corporate support. (except maybe servers)  Dell wont make much money off of
> > the extra cost of supporting these Linux boxes.  Linux users just use forums
> > and LUG's.  On a MS box,  they can sell you all sorts of extra goodies that
> > you 'need'.
> >
> > Nate

Share and Enjoy