[GRLUG] saving streaming media

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 13:03:10 EDT 2007

Here's how I do it.

Make sure you have mplayer installed, with the Real codecs, and grab
the Firefox MediaPlayerConnectivity plugin.

Navigate to a page with an embedded player.  The MPC icon should
appear.  Click on that, and MPC will launch mplayer.

Hop over to a terminal, and use ps to find the exact command-line
arguments passed to mplayer to read the stream.  Copy those arguments.

On another terminal, type:

mplayer -ao pcm:file=output.wav (paste your arguments here.)

That will save the audio stream as a PCM WAV file.  Encode to the
audio format of your choice.