[GRLUG] Comcast blocking outside connections?

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Thu Sep 28 22:39:36 EDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 10:18:04PM -0400, Luke McReynolds wrote:
> I no longer have Comcast: I have JAS Networks Synchronous DSL now, out of
> Battle Creek. I had Comcast for two years though, not that long ago.
>
> I had no problems at all with IP blocking, SSH or anything like that. With C
> omcast, and certainly with JAS, I've found that connectivity problems are
> almost always my own dumb fault, and not the fault of my ISP. I would
> suggest going into the router configuration interface and seeing what's up
> there.
>
> (Try going to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, and looking on Google for the
> default username/password for your router.)

Uh...thanks.  I have been using Linux nigh unto ten years.  I know how
to log into my router.  I am not a newbie.  Thanks for trying, though.
By the way, I changed my router's IP address so people would not guess
the two you listed.  :-)

As I mentioned, I ssh'd into a remote host, checked the IP address from
which I was connecting, and attempted to ping back that very IP address.
I do not get a response.  At no point in the past several months have I
changed anything in my router.  My IP address has suddenly become
invisible to the world.  This is new behavior and is not the result of
something I have done.  I tried ping both the IP address and the fully
qualified domain name from Comcast.  Neither responds.  I can port scan
myself from my internal network using the Comcast IP address.
Interestingly, I called Comcast tonight.  I was told their is a
city-wide outage in Grand Rapids.  I wonder if their DNS servers are
wacked.  I mentioned this already, but the Comcast tech support person
told me my IP address is different from the one that I actually have.
Strange, that.
--
john-thomas
------