[GRLUG] Linux @ school.

Jorge La weeneedhelp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 17:45:06 EDT 2006

Here's the view of someone who actully *goes* to public school: It Fails.
I have 3 AP classes, 1 science, and 2 required classes. I can (hopefully)
give an unbias view of the education system.

First of all, half of the people in public schools (at least where i live)
aren't really motivated at all and for financial reasons, counsolers
*Recommend* them to take PE and "bussy work" classes where they can get a
higher score instead of a slightly challenging classes. My AP History class
got cancled 2 weeks into the year because they needed the seats for a bussy
work class. (I origionally signed up for 6 AP classes, but, Surprise! not
enough funding for 6 AP classes at school, but their seems to be enough
funding for 18 Gym classes every day.)

The computer classes are Extremely simple (*point* *click* *done). HTML, is
teached threw DreamWeaver-the students never learn the HTML itself. Same
thing with programming which is taught on VB. No A++ exists. I'm schedured
for an "Introduction to Technology" class next semester. Do you think i need
to learn about Spywear?

Ugh, i'll just stop here and sum it up this way: School doesn't challenge
the elite, and it doesn't push the unmotivated.

Also, OOo would be great at school, but, OOo needs more development. I was
trying to do my Stats homework last week on OOo and found that the 4 step
way of making a Histogram on Excel is Much faster and easier OOo.

btw, KCTC has dual boot PCs with Linux and XP on them, but, the majority of
people I know that goes to KCTC for computers dont know a thing besides
*point* and *click*.

:-/