[GRLUG] Linux @ school.

Benjamin Eavey ben at eavey.com
Wed Sep 27 09:12:44 EDT 2006

> Or how about we don't pay teachers way more than they are worth and
> don't cater to their incessant demands? We waste far more money on
> teachers and their above average benefits than we ever could on buying
> computers and other supplies. Don't forget that the true cost of an
> employee is usually double their salary. For a teacher making 50,000
> that's upwards of 100,000 after payroll taxes and benefits. Now you tell
> me which is a better way to save money: Not buying $3,000 computers or
> knocking holier-than-thou teachers off their bully pulpits? Maybe we can
> use the money we save to buy better supplies and hire more teachers?

I don't want to go too far into this debate, so I'll just give my
opinion and leave it at that:

You say $50,000/year is way too much for a teacher's salary.

I have 2 kids in elementary school.

Your opinion scares me.

I don't want someone who makes $25,000/year, for instance, teaching my
kids.  Period.  What kind of people will you end up with if you don't
pay a decent salary?  You'll end up with people who couldn't get a
better job doing something else.  That's frightening.

My children will (unfortunately) spend more time with their teacher
during the week than with me.  I want that person to be someone who has
a good education, who is well-qualified, and who makes a good salary.  I
want the position of "teacher" to be desirable and satisfying for
intelligent, well-educated people who can be good role models for kids.

Basically, I don't want someone in a comparable economic position to the
assistant manager at Wendy's educating my children.

Thanks for reading.

We can go back to talking about Linux now...  :)

-Ben