[GRLUG] Linux @ school.

Jorge La weeneedhelp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 22:20:46 EDT 2006

Currently, my high school has these upto date Dells running XP and a server
that blocks gmail, myspace, and anything else that's fun. Currently, I have
a SSH server in NJ which im using to make a SSH tunnel to visit gmail,
myspace, fark and whatever else :). I have Putty on my network drive at
school, but i find that booting from Linux Live is much more useful and
powerful then XP. So, I need some nput and advice with Linux Live.

Eventhough the machines are upto date, about 1/4 of the CD drives are broken
(because someone pushed them in when the PC was off) and the Live CD boots
up slow, becasue the readspeeds on the CD drives are s-l-o-w. The BIOS does
support booting from USB flashdrives, which is much faster, but the I get
mix results when i boot SLAX from USB. Some PCs would be able to load X, and
some wont.
I've been wondering about making a QEMU live CD/USB? but the thing is, I
dont have access to the cmd line because im not a privilege user  :-/

Also, how do i get access to my network drive from linux? Currently, when
you get onto the PC, it asks you for your network usename and password.
After logging in to windows, you'll get access to your K: drive (network
drive). I'll be nice to have access to my K: drive in linux too ;)

If you need more information about my school's set up, just ask, and i'll
probally give it to you, or ask you how to get that info :)