[GRLUG] Certifications

Nathan Drier ndrier at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 13:36:44 EDT 2006

Chris,

Its never too late for anything!!  I dont know a whole lot about certs (I
dont have any,  but after this semester at school ill be able to take my A+,
MSCE, Network+ and Security+ certs) so dont take any of this for gospel,
but ill try to help ;-)

Now,  the first place I would start off would be the basics.  I would get A+
certified first,  then you can branch off into what you like.

Theres a Network+ for networking,  and the more you get into networking
certs,  the more you see its divided into MS and Cisco.  You could take the
microsoft route which is MSCE.  That deals more with OS's,  users,  the
software end of it.  Thats good for smaller companies.  Cisco (not sure of
its call sign) is the hardware end,  you do more work at larger,
multi-location systems.

Then Linux+ wouldent hurt at all,  its a broad cert.

Ever think about security?  Theres alot of those,  Security+, CISSP, even an
Ethical Hacker cert.  I would assume that where the most money is.

There is a million certs out there...I just read an article in SC that
talked about the importance of them and the best rated....Ill see if I can
find it.

Hope this helped!

Nate

On 9/25/06, Chris Lamrock <clamrock at nmtdie.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I'm thinking about "going back to school" for some certifications.   I do
> all of our companies computer/network/software/hardware/Microsoft/Linux
> stuff now.  With the way my field is going (tool and die) and getting up
> there in age (37) :-) I'm thinking about constructing a safety net..
>
> What would be some good certifications to go after?  Microsoft or
> Linux?  Is
> there any hope breaking into an IT/IS field so late in life?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chris

www.bumtrek.com