[GRLUG] Ubuntu Firefox/Flash problems

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 02:48:15 EDT 2006

On 9/23/06, Ben Rousch <brousch at orthicomp.com> wrote:
> IE4Linux is a good solution I use for dealing with sites that refuse to work
> under Linux and/or Firefox. It is a mostly-automated install of IE6 with
> Flash. It used wine, so you should have wine installed ("sudo apt-get install
> wine" on debian-based distros).
>
> Sure, it will make your stomach a little queasy having IE on your beautiful
> Linux install, but I think it is worth it to visit those few sites that
> refuse to play well with others.

Most sites that refuse to work in Firefox do so by checking the
browser ID, not by using some functionality not present in Firefox...
So changing the browser ID temporarily is all that's needed - there
are plenty of good Firefox plugins to do that easily.  If you need to
use, for instance, some ActiveX control on Linux...  then IE is the
only way to go.  Under Wine, QEMU, or similar.

--tim