[GRLUG] Data wiping / recovery / paranoia

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 07:50:19 EDT 2006

As I recall, roasting the disk will weaken the strength of the
magnetic fields, necessitating more sensitive equipment.  I'd like to
see someone who read data off of warped and discontinuous platters,
like the ones my friends and I generated on Labor Day:

http://theforge.us/sc/laborday2006/Photo_090406_005.jpg
http://theforge.us/sc/laborday2006/Photo_090406_004.jpg
http://theforge.us/sc/laborday2006/Photo_090406_003.jpg
http://theforge.us/sc/laborday2006/Photo_090406_002.jpg

Best shot of the day: (Though it may not have warped the platters as intended)
http://theforge.us/sc/laborday2006/Photo_090406_001.jpg