[GRLUG] Digital Audio Player

Ron Lauzon rlauzon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 18:31:02 EDT 2006

Roberto Villarreal wrote:
>> Avoid: iRiver (they have gone over to the dark side and no longer
>> support UMS - only Microsoft's brain-damaged MTP - connections).
>>

> This is only partially true.  I believe the US and one other (Australia?)
> region get the MTP and the rest of the world gets UMS.  The good news is that
> they provide firmware updates that will convert it UMS (I have personally
> done it with my T-30 I bought).  If memory serves me correctly, the only
> catch is that you need Windows to get the new firmware transferred over in
> the first place.  But it works like a beauty now!  As usual, do your
> research... I don't know if all models are flashable like that.

That's not true for the newer, and larger capacity iRivers.  Yes, I've
already been through this.  There's no UMS firmware for the H10 20GB
that I purchased (there is for the 5/8GB models).  I can get it to do
UMS, but you have to press the magic combination of buttons every time
you want to hook it up (very** inconvenient**).

ex: "*There's no UMS firmware released for H10 20GB models."*
http://www.misticriver.net/wiki/index.php/H10_Firmware_Conversion:_MTP/UMS

As a result, I now avoid iRiver products.

Archos, on the other hand, has always done well with UMS.  I've had 3
MP3 players from them and I have one video player.  All of which are
durable, well supported by 3rd parties, and have connected with every
Linux distro I've ever used.

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
   Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/

   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

   "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
   audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
   sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Mandriva Linux 2006