[GRLUG] Digital Audio Player

Ron Lauzon rlauzon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 16:32:50 EDT 2006

Benjamin Flanders wrote:
> I'm interested in your opinions here.  How many of you have a DAP,
> which one do you have and would you recommend it.  Are you looking at
> a dap and have already done some research and are willing to summarize
> some of that research?

I have several, actually.  Most are in the "spare parts" box in the
storage room.  I take them out occasionally to play with.

Recommendation: anything by Archos.  They are very linux-friendly with
their products.

Avoid: iRiver (they have gone over to the dark side and no longer
support UMS - only Microsoft's brain-damaged MTP - connections).
Avoid: RCA (their "we support everything" doesn't include standard UMS
connections).

OK, but with issues: iPod.  I have one in a box somewhere that I put
Rockbox on to see how it worked.  It was OK.  Then I played with the
Apple firmware later.  You can't use the more efficient tools in Linux
to put music on it.  You have to use the brain-damaged protocol that
Apple created - which is very cumbersome.

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
   Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/

   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

   "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
   audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
   sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Mandriva Linux 2006