[GRLUG] Question Related to Network Folders and Samba

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 09:41:54 EDT 2006

Thank you Justin,
Lets see if I have this straight.  This exports the /shared/home
directory on the file server and overlays this on top of the home
directory on the desktop, temporarily hiding the files already
residing in the home dir on the desktop.

Is it possible to export samba.server.name/home/user to
/home/user/external? something like this in fstab where user is
different depending on who logs in:
samba.server.name:/home/user   /home/user/external   nfs   defaults   0 0

On 9/5/06, Justin Denick <justin.denick at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not so sure I follow.
> Setup is someting like:
> -- 1Desktop PC running Ubuntu sometimes and Windows ate other
> -- A file server that runs samba for the Windows user and the Unbuntu user
>
> Why not handle the home directory with fstab on Ubuntu and drop the Samba
> Client.
> Something like:
>
> samba.server.name:/shared/home   /home   nfs   defaults   0 0
>

> On 9/5/06, Benjamin Flanders < flanderb at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> Background:
> I have samba setup on my home network serving up a shared directory
> and the home dir's on the file server of both my wife and I.  I can
> access the shared dir and the respective home dir  of whoever is
> logged into windows.  Works great.
> The issue:
> The desktop we use is a dual boot machine and when I use Ubuntu I can
> only get to the shared directory and not my home dir.  Is it possible
> to have Linux auto-mount the home directory on a file server of
> whoever is logged into a separate workstation, like the samba setup I
> mentioned above?
> Some more details:
> - In linux I have the samba deamon automatically mount the shared dir via
> fstab.
> - If I remember correctly, the samba setup I have uses a file in
> root's home dir on the desktop called something like .smbauth for the
> samba username and password.  I believe this is where the issue lies,
> it uses the same username and password for anyone who logs into the
> desktop.
>

> --
> Share and Enjoy

> In vino veritas.