[GRLUG] Question Related to Network Folders and Samba

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 08:44:33 EDT 2006

Background:
I have samba setup on my home network serving up a shared directory
and the home dir's on the file server of both my wife and I.  I can
access the shared dir and the respective home dir  of whoever is
logged into windows.  Works great.
The issue:
The desktop we use is a dual boot machine and when I use Ubuntu I can
only get to the shared directory and not my home dir.  Is it possible
to have Linux auto-mount the home directory on a file server of
whoever is logged into a separate workstation, like the samba setup I
mentioned above?
Some more details:
- In linux I have the samba deamon automatically mount the shared dir via fstab.
- If I remember correctly, the samba setup I have uses a file in
root's home dir on the desktop called something like .smbauth for the
samba username and password.  I believe this is where the issue lies,
it uses the same username and password for anyone who logs into the
desktop.

--
Share and Enjoy