[GRLUG] Sendmail as secondary (backup) MX

Olding, Jim JOlding at gts.gaineycorp.com
Tue Oct 31 11:05:54 EST 2006

You could add a catch-all address in sendmail's virtusertable file, and
then set up a cron job to delete that user's mail file.

The downside of this is that anyone sending mail to that domain will
never receive a bounce message, even if they legitimately mistyped an
email address.

This also completely violates RFC 2821, which requires bounce messages
to be sent if your system accepts mail for delivery and later finds that
the address is invalid.