[GRLUG] Possibilty of creating a nonprofit orgination

Bill Littlejohn billl at mtd-inc.com
Tue Oct 24 09:03:18 EDT 2006

Bill Creswell wrote:

> Let's not forget whether there is a market. I used to have P2's and
> P3's around my house to give away, but find very few people who want a
> computer that do not have one.
I think this is because people tend to associate the usefulness of the
computer with access to the internet. It is seen as a communication tool
first and foremost. People with the disposable income for an ISP tend to
have a computer already (new or secondhand), and those that do not -
tend to not want one.
I would suggest that GRLUG pc's be 'advertised' first as educational and
fun, second as an 'easier and more secure' way to get on the internet.
In my experience there are many kids 7-15 that are denied the computer
time they want because their family only has one flaky Windows pc, and
they don't want it pushed over the edge, or the parent understands how
likely it is for their kid to get exposed to various nasties.
I think a full Edubuntu install would work for both the family that
wants the kids safer, and the ones who probably can't get internet
access, but it would depend on the presentation to drive interest.
Bill