[GRLUG] Possibilty of creating a nonprofit orgination

Szymon Machajewski SMachaje at grcc.edu
Mon Oct 23 08:33:01 EDT 2006

Yes, this is great.  I also found a few articles on eWeek which are
about the OLPC - One Laptop Per Child project.
I like the security article.  Some fear that this will create a
software mono-culture - therefore a non-secure environment ...

http://www.eweek.com/search_results/0%2C1208%2C%2C00.asp?qry=olpc&section=&site=7

Thank you.

Szymon Machajewski

Solutions Engineer / DBA
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Oracle Certified Associate
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
www.grcc.edu/smachaje

>>> "Bob Kline" <bob.kline at gmail.com> 10/23/2006 4:08:00 am >>>
See also  http://omnibus.bobanna.com/hdl/

    -Bob

On 10/20/06, Szymon Machajewski <SMachaje at grcc.edu> wrote:
> Jared,
>
> I think this is a fine idea and I'm on board with whatever help you
may
> need.
>
> I actually have a student in my class who is involved with another
> organization who acquires laptops and distributes them in Africa.
On
> the laptops they install soft phones based on Linux so people can
> communicate over the phone via wireless.  It turns out they have
> wireless but not phone lines.  This type of connection is cheap and
> apparently easy to operate.
>
> Also RedHat along with MIT have a project for a $100 laptop which
would
> create a connectivity web in developing countries.
> http://www.redhat.com/magazine/014dec05/features/olpc/
>
> I bet there would be support for such initiatives in Grand Rapids
> area.
>

> Thank you.
>
> Szymon Machajewski
>
> Solutions Engineer / DBA
> Red Hat Certified Engineer
> Oracle Certified Associate
> Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
> www.grcc.edu/smachaje

> I was thinking of the possibilty of creating a non profit
organization