[GRLUG] MythTV

Ron Lauzon rlauzon at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 06:09:40 EDT 2006

Tim Schmidt wrote:
> Unfortunately, with MythTV, you tend to get what you pay for.  The
> cheapest tuner I feel OK reccomending is a PVR150...  They require a
> bit of setup as mentioned earlier.  eBay helps.  The cheaper
> BTTV-based cards don't produce great output.  They're OK, just not
> great.

I'll second that.  The cheap frame-grabber cards are very poor.  Pay the
extra for a MPEG encoder card (like the Hauppauge PVR cards) and you
will have a much nicer DVR experience.

Also, my current DVR is a 2.5Ghz Pentium with 1GB RAM and something like
300 GB hard drive space (shows are typically 1 GB per half hour - and I
need room for my MP3s since this box is also a server for my Squeezebox
and any videos I download from the Internet).  It has 2 PVR-250 cards
(which comes in very handy on sweeps week) and an nVidia PCI video card
with S-Video out (a cheap card - nothing special).  It's running
Mandriva 2006 and MythTV 0.18.

So far, I have had no issues with recording 2 shows, watching 1 while
the system finds the commercials for another show in the background.

My system definitely wasn't cheap, but it is very reliable and very
useful.  I believe that I have more than gotten out of it what I've put
into it.

> For really nice systems, the Plextor TV402U is an external USB2 tv
> tuner that does MPEG2 and MPEG4 in hardware...  saving some disk space
> compared to the PVR-series cards.  They're $200 MSRP unfortunately.

I thought that MythTV didn't work with the USB tuners.

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
   Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/

   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

   "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
   audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
   sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Mandriva Linux 2006