[GRLUG] MythTV

Ron Lauzon rlauzon at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 17:47:04 EDT 2006

Nick Reid wrote:
> I have a PVR-500MCE and can't seem to get Myth  to make it run.
> all i get is snow on it. It does record snow even (yeah) and will play
> back.
>
> I am looking for a starting point for troubleshooting it.
> I have a friend at work that is working over two of them and he's having
> other issues but it seems to me that MythTV has become unstable in the
> last few months as a product...

I've built 3 MythTV systems so far.  One version 0.17 and two version
0.18s (one is my main DVR the other was just a test to check something
out).  All were very stable once set up.

Two of the systems were built with PVR--250 cards.  But the last one was
a PVR-150.  I know from getting that one working that the ivtv drivers
for the PVR-150 and PVR-500 cards are very new and probably aren't in
the distro you used.  That's probably the problem.  The older drivers
seem to work (sort of), but to have a usable system, you need the latest
ivtv drivers and have them installed correctly.

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
   Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/

   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

   "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
   audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
   sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Mandriva Linux 2006