[GRLUG] Meeting agenda?

Roberto Villarreal rvillarreal at mktec.com
Wed Oct 11 12:48:25 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 11 October 2006 11:54, Tim Schmidt wrote:
> On 10/11/06, Justin Denick <justin.denick at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Regardless of what your distro may or may not come with, learning about
> > the kernel would make for a very informative lecture. So often, users
> > rely on apt to to their bidding, and that's fine. But some of us want to
> > know why it works and what could make it stop working.
> >
> > I build my own kernels for many reasons:
> > 1) I don't use modules unless I absolutely must, and even then I
> > complain. 2) I don't need to support the hardware I don't own or will
> > never buy 3) I like to know what's going on
> > 4) When a problem comes up, I don't want to rely on solutions like:
> > "reinstall the package"
> >
> > So I say we keep the Kernel Building lecture alive.
> > I would give the presentation, but I must admit there are many on this
> > list who know volumes more than I do; I'm probably still a newb.
>
> Sure...  I'm not opposed to the kernel presentation...  Just pointing
> out that building a kernel isn't a common task for most people any
> more.  When I started using Linux in 1998, building a custom kernel
> for each and every install of Linux was almost the expected norm.
> Now, even most 'bleeding edge' hardware like SATA controllers, 10
> gigabit ethernet, and crazy Taiwanese rebranded ultra-generic hardware
> X work out of the box.  Even when hotplugged :)

I know you used the key words "common task" and "most people", but even though
I always do "for fun", I was actually forced to with new hardware I had
bought because of a patch (perhaps that would be a good subtopic... applying
patches?) for my (relatively new) chipset.

> As far as your reasons go...  There are some pertinent counterpoints:
>
> 1) The only reason I can think of to be weary of modules is a
> bordering-on-paranoia fear of rootkits...  quite a few load as
> modules.  However, a few that I know of use only /dev/kmem or similar
> to bootstrap themselves into kernel-space - no module support needed.
> Otherwise, modules are functionally identical to compiled-in drivers.

Another reason is because, like in my above scenario, if you *do* have to
compile your kernel, it will save you a whole lot of compile time!!!

> 2) Unless you, for some crazy reason :), buy it.  Hard to tell a year
> or three in advance.

Very valid for desktops, but typically not for a laptop...

Roberto