[GRLUG] Meeting agenda?

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 08:55:45 EDT 2006

Regardless of what your distro may or may not come with, learning about the
kernel would make for a very informative lecture. So often, users rely on
apt to to their bidding, and that's fine. But some of us want to know why it
works and what could make it stop working.

I build my own kernels for many reasons:
1) I don't use modules unless I absolutely must, and even then I complain.
2) I don't need to support the hardware I don't own or will never buy
3) I like to know what's going on
4) When a problem comes up, I don't want to rely on solutions like:
"reinstall the package"

So I say we keep the Kernel Building lecture alive.
I would give the presentation, but I must admit there are many on this list
who know volumes more than I do; I'm probably still a newb.

On 10/11/06, Bill Littlejohn <billl at mtd-inc.com> wrote:

> Tim Schmidt wrote:
>
> On 10/10/06, Bill Littlejohn <billl at mtd-inc.com> <billl at mtd-inc.com> wrote:
>
>   I had forgotten about that.
>  I think compiling a new kernel is probably the most likely issue a new
> Linux user would face
>
>  Huh.  What hardware do _you_ run?
>
> I haven't had to compile a kernel for anything but Xen in a really
> really long time.
>
> --tim
>
>  lol
> Xen is a perfectly reasonably requirement in a number of business
> requirements.
> I personally use VMware, but I have run into kernel module dependencies of
> other software.
> Too tired to figure out what it was at the moment...

In vino veritas.
        [In wine there is truth.]
                -- Pliny