[GRLUG] X11 Multi monitor question

Godwin geektoyz at gmail.com
Tue May 30 22:39:39 EDT 2006

I'm not in Linux right now, so I can't look...<gulp>, but I have
on-board DVI and VGA with dualies and I can move the mouse (will post
config later) from one screen to the other in GDM, but it seizes after
I log in.

Strange thing is, if I use XDMCP and login to another linux server
with KDE as my default desktop, dual monitors with extended desktop
works fine.  Locally, on Gnome, the cursor doesn't travel from one
desktop to the other.  Instead, I see the tip of the mouse's pointer
on the adjacent side of the other screen, but that's it.  I won't
traverse across.  I can't even move windows from one to the other.
They disappear as they enter the desktop of the other screen.

So maybe we'll both find a fix between my config and yours Dave.  :-)

I'll have to look if Xinerama is on...

G-

On 5/30/06, David Pembrook <david at pembrook.net> wrote:
> Well, I kinda want to work out the bugs by hand on the config. I've
> gotten it down pretty good, but I'm missing one little thing.
>
> I'm not looking to run the nvidia in twinview, but I'll turn on Xinerama
> after I get it all to work. If I just turn it on right now, I get cloned
> displays on the nvidia. Actually I haven't tried it since getting the
> matrox in. I guess my next step if i can't get this to go is Xinerama.
>
> Dave
>
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > I run tri-monitor setup on two different setups, both with NVIDIA cards.
> > Each machine has a dualhead, and then there is a single head card
> > installed. I run TwinView on the dualhead, and then I turn Xinerama on
> > so I can get the extended desktop across the other the other monitor.
> >
> > Why are you turning Xinerama off, do you want each monitor to actually
> > be it's own desktop environment, rather then utilizing an extended desktop?
> >
> > Zach
> >

> >David Pembrook wrote:
> >/> I've got all three monitors displaying independant desktops but I can't
> />/> move the mouse between them.
> />/> /

Ubber::Geek
http://grlug.org/