[GRLUG] Xgl & Compiz

Adam bultman adamb at glaven.org
Tue May 16 12:15:08 EDT 2006

Tim Schmidt wrote:
> So yeah...  installed Suse 10.1 on a system to play with, set up Xgl
> and compiz, and although I don't like that they were developed in
> private and dumped on the community, and it doesn't currently work
> with Xinerama (so my 3200x1200 desktop is reduced by half), and it
> needs a bit more polish in the form of a configuration utility...
>
> DAMN IT'S SWEET!
>
> You really have to play around with it in person to get an
> appreciation for how nice some of the features are, and it just looks
> amazing.  I might be addicted...  maybe...

I have it working perfectly on my wife's laptop (i810 video), very
buggily on my laptop (Geforce2), and not at all on my desktop (Geforce
6600).

It is REALLY neat, and the expose clone is neat - but the real kicker is
that openGL programs won't work inside it, and you can no longer
windowshade windows. That's a real deal-breaker for me.
At one point, I got things working on my desktop, but not quite:
http://ak.glaven.org/stuff/screenshot-compiz.jpg

Adam

Adam