[GRLUG] distros, DE's, etc.

Roberto Villarreal rvillarreal at mktec.com
Tue May 16 09:18:07 EDT 2006

Perhaps that should be another criteria you throw into the mix; what distros
allow you to build the system *from the ground up* rather than having to tear
them down, like you mention.  The two linux distros that I have real/current
experience with are Debian and Gentoo.  Both of them are 'from the ground up'
installs, so there was no "default" to tear down (though I'm sure both have
the option for a 'default' install available).

As to "at that point, what's the difference", in my opinion, it is package
availability and package management.  I like being able to hear about some
new-fangled technology, open a shell and do an 'apt-cache search
new-fangled_technology', and see that it is already there.  Then dependency
resolution follows from that.

Debian I sometimes have issues with, but it's my own fault for
having "outsider" repositories and mixing unstable, testing, and stable all
together.  But never once have I gotten into something I couldn't get out of
without wiping the system.  Gentoo I've never gotten any issues, but on the
other hand it doesn't have as current stuff as Debian (without messing with
the masks and such).  And with RedHat... ugh (but this was back with RedHat
6/7 and was a newbie... haven't used it since then).

Roberto