[GRLUG] My Ubuntu Trial

Ron Lauzon rlauzon at gmail.com
Tue May 16 04:33:53 EDT 2006

Roberto Villarreal wrote:
> Though, for what it's worth, I was the recipient of a Mandriva box (from
> you)... I ended up having to wipe up and put Debian on because I couldn't get
> something to work.  It had something to do with configuring stuff with the
> GUI, as the box was for my computer-dumb father.  I was able to get it to
> work fine with Debian's GUI equivalent though :-).

That's sort of what I was getting to.

It seems to me that as far as distros go, they are pretty much all the
same.  The only differentiating things are:
1. personal preferences
2. personal experience.

I prefer KDE over Gnome. So I would lean toward a KDE distro.  I've used
Mandriva for a while, so I know what all the little tricks are to get to
the "interesting" packages installed.

Most of the time, I think that people would rather get by the
installation part so that they can go off and do something more
interesting with it, so they wouldn't want to spend the time learning
the quirks of a new distro.  Even for this test, I took alot of
shortcuts because I didn't want to spend the time.

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
   Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/

   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

   "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
   audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
   sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Mandriva Linux 2005LE