[GRLUG] Ubuntu live and install issues

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Sun May 14 15:31:02 EDT 2006

On 5/14/06, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> The "live" version came up on an older machine, but
> was indeed too slow to be interesting.   On a newer
> machine it comes up to a point,  and then I get display
> problems.

Have you given other recent Linux distributions a shot on the same
hardware?  You could also try specifying the vesa display driver,
which should work on any graphics hardware.

> The "install" version results in the endless "Press a key
> to reboot" messages.   I'm repeating myself a bit here,
> but just to be clear,  it is the "install" version that I am
> really interested in.   The "live" version can't be taken
> seriously except as a demo vehicle.

Sounds like either a bad CD, a funky ACPI setup, or some other odd
problem.  Have you tried manually resetting the machine?

> I suspect Ubuntu has to work better than this,  given its
> reputation,  which is why I brought up the possibility that
> there might be some kind of "burn" issue,  even though
> just what escapes me.   The DVD/CD device works fine
> in all other respects.  I routinely use it for backups.

Check the MD5 / SHA1 signature of the ISO?

> Now,  my machine is a home rolled unit too,  so I really
> can't go and say to anyone "Ubuntu doesn't work on an X

So are all mine...  motherboard and graphics card make and model might help.

--tim