[GRLUG] Distro's - GRLUG test comment, dead thread

Ron Lauzon rlauzon at gmail.com
Sat May 13 18:09:15 EDT 2006

Robert G. Brown wrote:
> I beleive what is being objected to is behavior such as
> described in the article at:
>
>    http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/snobsoped.shtml

That was an interesting article, but the "sobbery" that they see doesn't
really exist, but I can see why they
think it does.  So I've created:

Ron's Guide to Asking Technical Questions for Newbies

Many of us who can answer such questions are often the people who are
more technically advanced or talented at the companies they work for.
In short: we are the answer people.  At work, we are paid to deal with
newbie questions (either officially or unofficially), so we answer your
questions at work with a smile (after all, we LIKE getting paid).

Outside of work, however, we answer questions out of the goodness of our
hearts and out of a desire to educate people.  But we are not OBLIGATED
to answer your question.

In my personal experience, I have been:
+ Treated as an employee by someone I don't know looking for an answer
and demanding it NOW.
+ Called, at home, by someone I barely knew demanding (not asking) for
technical help with his school work.
+ Treated as a Google-surrogate (i.e. they were looking for answers that
were easily Google-able).

So, helpful hints for newbies asking questions:
1. Ask.  Ask nicely.  I recently started to learn Japanese and they have
a whole separate set of "polite" words.  Learn the English versions of
those words and use them.  Copious use of the words "please" and "I
would really appreciate..." are obviously very helpful here.

We aren't looking for you to beg for help, but we are looking for
appreciation for our help and not to be treated as peons (who aren't
getting paid to answer your questions).

2. Try first.  Who do you you feel better helping: the person who has
made it half way up the mountain on his own, but is stuck and needs help
- or the person who is still at the bottom, not having made any attempt
to climb?

Telling us what you did to find the answer yourself when asking the
question tells us that you want to learn and makes us more willing to
help.  Which leads me to ...

3. Learn.  'Nuff said.

4. Accept that you may not get the "step 1, step 2, step 3..." answer
that you are looking for.  You may just get a little bit of information
- and if you asked a good question, that little bit of information may
just be the missing piece that lets you figure it out for yourself - and
learn something in the process.

Remember, we just don't want to spread Linux to everyone.  We also want
to spread knowledge.  Because if everyone is smart, we can spend less
time answering questions and more time doing cool techie things 8-)

5. Accept the answer "you've bitten off more than you can chew".
Remember that you are asking questions of people who are more
knowledgeable and experienced than you (if they weren't, why are you
asking them questions?).  Remember that we became knowledgeable and
experienced by doing simple tasks, learning and then doing more
complicated tasks.  Some of us went to college, some to the School of
Hard Knocks.  We didn't get our knowledge from the magic lamp.  We
earned it through many trials and failures.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science.  I have almost 20 years
experience.  I've worked with many flavors of Unix over that time.  When
I tell you what what you want to do is outside of your abilities, it's
not a slam - it's just the honest truth.

6. Remember that techies can be bribed.  An offer of a dinner to help do
something when we have free time stands a good chance of being taken
up.  Money works too.  I've bought computers from the Junk Store and
built them up with Linux for people to have something to play with - but
I've been paid for that.

Finally,
7. Respect.  Remember that we aren't your employees, we aren't your help
desk, we aren't under any obligation to you.  Treating us with respect
keeps our attitudes nice, and makes us much more willing to answer
newbie questions.

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
   Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/

   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

   "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
   audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
   sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Mandriva Linux 2005LE