[GRLUG] VC Tech Source

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Tue May 9 18:40:29 EDT 2006

Ron Lauzon wrote:
> Bob Kline wrote:
>> I made a stop at VC Tech Source today.  The stock seemed to be rather
>> depleted,  ...

> Keep in mind that they are scrappers.  If companies aren't getting rid
> of their hardware, they have little to sell. ...

> Well, we ARE in the Dutch area of the state.  8-)

I would suggest that we may also be seeing a "lost generation" in the scrap
computer cycle. The last slot 1's (late PIIs, early PIIIs) are running out, and
many of the next gen socket 370/socket 462 era (later PIII's  and comparable
Athlons) were from the *era of bad capacitors* <http://www.badcaps.net/>.

I'm painfully aware of this because I have several good CPUs, with approporiate
RAM, etc., and no mobo to run them in. I'm tempted to order replacement mobos,
but I'm affraid anything of that class would be leftovers with caps that will
fail in 2-3 years. :-(

Any way's that's my speculation, based on my (limited) observation.

Raymond McLaughlin