[GRLUG] Distro's - was GRLUG test comment

Ron Lauzon rlauzon at gmail.com
Thu May 4 19:45:58 EDT 2006

Adam bultman wrote:
> That's where you're wrong. I've had many "Normal users", upon hearing me
> mention linux:
> 1.  find out that I work with linux and ask me about it , or
> 2.tell me that they've read about linux in the paper/magazine/google
> news, how it is free and secure, or
> 3.  have gone as far as *downloading* it.

Those people aren't "normal" users.

"Normal" users are like most people who drive cars and who use phones.
They know, conceptually, how they work, but are unable to do much more
than take them to a service center when they don't work or when they
want something better.
> Dismissing "Normal Users" as "not smart enough to use a computer anyway"
> has probably alienated quite a few people (wasn't there a slashdot
> article about this recently or something?)
Sorry.  Bad choice of words on my part.

I too often see people who post "I want to write a program do <insert
some very complicated thing here>.  How do I do that?" and follow up
with responses like "What's a compiler?" and "What's an editor?"

I give them credit for trying, but they are in so far over their heads
that it would take quite some time to explain everything to them - and
the ones that I typically have seen, get very defensive when you try to
explain that to them.

> I've come to realize some time ago that all people have their areas of
> expertise.   I find it odd that 'computer people' seem to be the most
> 'elitist' and snobbish people I've managed to bump into.
Well, we graduated from the School of Hard Knocks, and then someone,
usually without appreciation, wants you to just give them the answer.
Have too many people do that to you and see how elitist and snobbish you
get - especially when they take credit for your work and think that they
are knowledgeable because of it.

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
   Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/

   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

   "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
   audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
   sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Mandriva Linux 2005LE