[GRLUG] Distro's - was GRLUG test comment

Ben Rousch brousch at orthicomp.com
Thu May 4 09:49:26 EDT 2006

I used RH7&9 -> Suse9 -> Ubuntu Warty through Dapper beta

I prefer sudo to root. It is nice to remember one password for my computer
instead of two. The only time I used root was at the terminal, and I can
still use a root-like terminal on Ubuntu if I need to (sudo -i).

The biggest thing keeping me on Ubuntu is apt. I didn't believe the apt
hype for years, especially since I never successfully installed Debian.
Now I don't know how I lived without it. Finding RPMs for RH and Suse is
like pulling teeth compared to apt and the Universe repositories. the only
thing I've had to compile on Ubuntu was a wireless driver in Hoary, and it
was in the repos for Breezy.

The second biggest thing keeping me on Ubuntu is the community and forums.
I have always found an answer to my questions and 90% of the people are
nice. This is the first distro that has actually made me want to
contribute, and made me hopeful that Linux can survive and grow with
regular users.