[GRLUG] Distro's - was GRLUG test comment

Topher topher at wcsg.org
Thu May 4 09:16:17 EDT 2006

> I have to say that I firmly agree with David on this one.  The last time
> I installed Ubuntu I was really frustrated with the no root, just use
> sudo aspect of it.  I really prefer simply logging in as root at times.
> It's true I have screwed things up that way, but live and learn -
> Ubuntu's model was simply too annoying for me.

I use root about once a year typically.  When I first got started in
Linux it was at a job, and they gave me sudo, since it's easy to revoke.
I just have done that forever.

That said, when I installed ubunutu, it was REALLY weird to not have to
put in a root passwd, and I didn't like the fact that the first user
automatically had sudo rights.

You may recall earlier this year that I had terrible troubles with ubuntu,
and was kicked around a bit for it.  It turns out that ubuntu and VMWare
do NOT play well together.  I would assume it would work fine as a host,
but it won't install a kernel for some reason.

It installed fine on a regular machine.

Also, I've put it on a Dell D610 the most, and *something* eats GRUB on a
regular basis. I suspect it's not an Ubuntu thing, but a D610 thing, and
possibly even a Cornerstone D610 thing.  But it's sad.  :)

Topher
Manager of Internet Services
Cornerstone University Radio

------
"You know what really makes me sleepy?  Playing my bugle."  - Ernie