[GRLUG] Distro's - was GRLUG test comment

David Pembrook david at pembrook.net
Thu May 4 08:45:10 EDT 2006

Any distro without clutter is a good thing but... (I'm gonna gripe here
now...)

I tried ubuntu a couple of weeks ago. It installed easy enough. As easy
as anything else I think.

I don't like how they tried to remove the su to root concept (there is
no root password so you can't "su" and must use sudo). I got done with
my install and was scratching my head like a lot of other uses thinking
"they never asked for my root password". I know what they are trying to
do and anyone with experience can "fix things" and go back to using "su"
to manage their box in no time. If you screw your box up as root, well..
geesss.. of course thats your fault... but let me make my mistakes LOL.

Does it bother anyone else that they are changing things like that? I
happen to like god mode... root is one place I still have control in my
life LOL

For my 2 cents on a good distro, I've fallen into the Debian camp now...
give me a debian net install cd anytime! I must have my apt. Goodbye
redhat and fedora!

Oh and I love simply mepis for a live cd linux. Any other good new live
cd linuxes out there?

Dave