[GRLUG] NAS question

Nick Reid nick at toomanycomputers.com
Thu Mar 30 00:04:38 EST 2006

I am working on trying to make a NAS out of a P3-933 w/512M.

I have a pile of drives, a Promise Ultra100 and another controller that
came with some maxtor drives that has dual sata and a pata port on it.

I have been trying to find some lightweight distro that i can dedicate
to this. i want to make it single use and the products out there seem weak.

I tried FreeNas and FreeBsd seems to have issues with I815 Mobos.. as
one guy said.. oh just turn off DMA in the bios ( i guess bsd will turn
it back on later) but all it would do for me was panic on BTX load.

anyone else tried this sort of thing with out making a full linux box
running samba..
Samba is the asnwer but the underlying OS is what i am trying to
minimize.. i have been planning on installing it to a compact flash card
and running it like DSL..

I wasn't sure if anyone has seen a prebuilt thing like this vs. a role
your own.
Pizzabox was an option until i found they wanted 160$ for a license.

thanks for any suggestions.
-nick