[GRLUG] Comcast & dynamic DNS

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Tue Mar 28 09:30:27 EST 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 08:51:31AM -0500, Topher wrote:
> > I received a letter from Comcast (addressed directly to me) that indicated I
> > have to reconfigure my system to utilize dynamic DNS rather than specifying my
> > own DNS servers.  I wonder if this is a general letter sent to all Comcast
> > customers or if Comcast somehow knows I do not use their lousy DNS servers.
> > The letter stated that I could lose my connectivity if I failed to reconfigure
> > (I believe it used this language; I could be mistaken since I am relying on my
> > memory).  Is it possible for Comcast to know with certainty how my system is
> > configured for DNS?  (I use a Linksys route provided by Vonage.)
>
> I have not gotten such a letter.  Nor have I had problems with their DNS
> though.  What problems have you had?

(Eww...sorry about sending that email with 80 columns rather than 72...)

The problem I experienced with their DNS servers is speed,
specifically, the lack thereof.  There were times I would type in, say,
www.google.com and wait for several moments for the name to resolve.  I
know enough to suspect DNS and so I manually selected two non-Comcast
DNS servers and the problem disappeared.  I switched back to Comcast's
DNS servers and the problem reappeared.
--
john-thomas
------