[GRLUG] meeting: June 21 & grlug.org

Szymon Machajewski smachaje at grcc.edu
Wed Jun 21 22:34:50 EDT 2006

Thank you everyone who was able to make it to the meeting.
I enjoyed both presentations and will start playing with OCFS2 soon.

How about planning the next meeting?
Jul 24, 1:00 or 6:00 PM?
Aug 14 ?

The Oracle installation was suggested as a presentation topic.
Possibly OS tuning tips. To give everyone a volunteering chance, would
someone want to talk about the database install, kernel settings, etc ?
We could also split installation and tuning ...

Szymon Machajewski

Solutions Engineer / DBA
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
www.grcc.edu/smachaje

>>> geektoyz at gmail.com 6/21/2006 12:19:41 pm >>>
In deed, for the time being, we're *mostly* an online group...  :-)
I've
been happy to provide rack space for GRLUG since I became involved
about six
years ago.  Before our server up and walked away (from EMU), I
maintained
our site, list and message board.  After I rebuilt the box here, the
site
could definitely use some work.  :-)  As time permits, I'm happy to
install
whatever needed on our box for a webmin to maintain though.  Dave has
our
wiki (on his box) which should work out well, but we still have our
very own
box for whateverz...

History of the LUG?  I found Eric via a google (or maybe altavista -
back
then) search while I attended EMU 6 years ago.  He and a fellow named
Jim
from GVSU both had their own thing going so we combined to form GRLUG.
We
own two domains " grlug.org" and "grandrapids-lug.org" which I renew
yearly
and have free DNS service from Zoneedit.com .  I believe Eric filed a
non-profit status form a while ago.  At least, I remember signing it.
:-)
Like Eric mentioned, we've had installfests, demo days and just plain
old
pizza days-a-plenty.

We really could use some fresh talent to reorganize our LUG.  For
myself, my
schedule is very structured and with five children any (work) free time
is
always spoken for, but I admin our box with the essential updates and
security patches as they come out.

Middle-o-da-day meetings are a bit tough for me, but I think I can make
it
to this one.   Hopefully, we'll see ya'll there.

G-

On 6/20/06, Eric Hartwell < darth_linux at ameritech.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 20 June 2006 09:25, you wrote:
> > Could you please explain in an email how the GRLUG works?
>
> GRLUG is meant as tech support of Linux for the greater Grand Rapids
area.
> In
> the past, we've held install-fest, demo days, and the like. In the
last
> couple of years, that's dwindled down to a mailing list. (I'd like to
see
> it
> back to meetings and fests)
>
> > What are the necessary responsibilities and who is currently
assigned
> > them?
>
> We basically need a head, meeting scheduler, and a webmin.
>
> I am the head, Godwin is the webmin, Ben was the meeting scheduler,
but
> (again) we've basically been just a mailing list for a couple of
years.

> > What is the process for assigning them?
> >

> "Who wants the job?.... hands?.... Ok I'll do it"
>

> Ladies (should that be singular? :-) and gentlemen - I call you to
action.
> We
> must be the advocates in western Michigan to promote Linux. This
means we
> need to have a visible presence in the world. I think it would be
good to
> start with something simular we did all those years ago at Barns and
Noble
> in
> Rivertown. get out into public with Linux running on PC and Mac alike
and
> show them what free as in freedom is all about.
>
> Power to the Penguin!
>
> eah
>
> > thanks.
> >
> > Szymon Machajewski
> >
> > Solutions Engineer / DBA
> > Red Hat Certified Engineer
> > Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
> > www.grcc.edu/smachaje

> > Unfortunately, I'll be out of town all next week, so using ITT
would
> > not be
> > possible.
> >
> > eah
> >
> > On Thursday 15 June 2006 16:47, Szymon Machajewski wrote:
> > > Thank you for the info Godwin.  Eric, it would be great if you
or

> > Godwin
> >
> > > could take the lead.
> > >
> > > There was some discussion on the list about how GRLUG is
organized,

> > how
> >
> > > the election process takes place.  It would be nice to talk
about

> > this
> >
> > > for a few minutes.
> > > Also the issue of GRLUG webmaster could be discussed.
> > >
> > > I think it would be beneficial to establish relationships with
Linux
> > > related vendors like Novell, IBM, Oracle etc to sponsor some of
our
> > > events.  These contact too could be discussed.
> > >

> > > Szymon Machajewski
> > >
> > > Solutions Engineer / DBA
> > > Red Hat Certified Engineer
> > > Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
> > > www.grcc.edu/smachaje

> > > Hi Szymon,
> > >
> > > I'm still "negotiating" the date with my work... :-)  What
exactly

> > do
> >
> > > you mean by "local business point" ?  I'll of course, do what I
can.
> > > See if you can drop Eric Hartwell a line.  He's our Pres. and
works

> > at
> >
> > > ITT.  He may have more resources at hand than I.
> > >
> > > thank you Sir,
> > > G-

> > > day

> > > Just