[GRLUG] Xorg 7, video card help

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 04:35:26 EDT 2006

On 6/12/06, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone have any stories involving more current
> ATI display cards?  e.g.,  ATI X works fine?

Haven't failed to get an AGP or PCI card to work here...  all makes and models.

I _do_ have a Real3D Starfighter PCI card which refuses to work
properly as a second card.  It, however, has a crazy memory
architecture...  it's i740 based, which is an AGP-only graphics chip
(it uses system memory via 'AGP texturing' for texture and virtex
data), with a custom PCI<->AGP bridge chip right on the card along
with 8Mb of 'system ram' for textures.  So it's essentially a graphics
card with half a northbridge and some SDRAM built right in.  The whole
thing was engineered by Lockheed Martin
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real3D).

Anyway...  it works great as a primary graphics adapter, but as a
secondary one, only 2Mb of the framebuffer is detected...  which makes
it pretty limited.

--tim