[GRLUG] Disk scrubber

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 17:44:19 EDT 2006

I read somewhere that shred's "doing more" is targeted at older-style
hard drives, like FM, MFM and others, and most of its routines aren't
any more effective on a modern disk than a simple overwrite.

In essence, most of shred's passes were each designed for a different
style drive.

Source:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html