[GRLUG] possable to make /home/ fat32? :?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 00:30:05 EDT 2006

Yes and no.  If you're running an old enough kernel (pre 2.6.11), you
can use UMSDOS, which uses a special file on the FAT32 filesystem  to
store data required to implement a UNIX-like filesystem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMSDOS

If you're going to dual-boot with Windows XP, I *strongly* recommend
using NTFS for your primary Windows partition.  NTFS is a much, much,
much better filesystem that FAT32.  You can configure any recent Linux
kernel to read NTFS partitions.

If you're looking to share your home directory with your Windows
install, look up Windows ext2 and ext3 drivers.  Be careful, though.
Some of the free ones are unstable.  While I haven't *lost* data, the
driver I tried did cause intermittant problems with Windows. ( I don't
remember which driver I tried, sorry.)  If you're willing to shell out
a few bucks, there are commercial ext2 and ext3 drivers out there.
(Complete with the "no liability" clause in their licenses, no doubt.)

In any case, move away from FAT32 if you can.  You'll be surprised how
nice it is to be able to create files larger than 2GB, and to not have
to have chkdisk run every time Windows locks up or loses power.