[GRLUG] rhce

Benjamin Eavey ben at eavey.com
Thu Jul 20 11:38:20 EDT 2006

> RHCE is a performance based exam so as long as you have RedHat skills,
> you don't need books.  Think about an exam where your system does not
> boot, and you have to end up with a DNS, DHCP, Apache, SQUID, NFS, Mail
> and other services running (without reinstalling ... )

The books, in my opinion, are a very GOOD idea.  You want to make sure
you're prepared, especially on those things that you might not actively
do on a day-to-day basis.  A good book can prep you on how the Red Hat
exams are structured, and it's a good review to make sure you're
comfortable with everything on the test.

I got my RHCE several years ago, and I'm sure the exam has changed a lot
since then, but I wouldn't recommend taking it without first reading
through one of the prep books.  This is an EXPENSIVE exam.  $750 when I
took it, and the exam lasted all day.  It's in 3 parts (written exam,
hands-on troubleshooting, hands-on configuration), and if you don't get
a passing score on any 1 part, you fail the entire thing.

Buy one of the books and read it.  The class might be overkill, but like
Szymon says (ha! I made a funny!), it's the best way to get prepared if
your company is willing to pay for it.

Good luck...

-Ben