[GRLUG] Hardware changes

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 23:38:48 EDT 2006

Here's something to tide you over.  It's not recent...I haven't
updated it since December 5 of 2004, when I prepared it for a final
presentation in Szymon's UNIX System Administration class. That
said...there are a couple things I want to clarify, since I was on a
time limit in the original presentation:

1. I mention that experimentation is usually safe.  This is, strictly
speaking, true.  I've never heard of x86 hardware getting damaged from
an improperly configured kernel.  At worst, your system might not boot
off the new kernel, and you'll have to use a previously working kernel
to get in and try again.
2. For x86 systems, the kernel image is stored in
kernel_source_directory/arch/i386/boot as the file "bzImage"
3. Unless you're willing to deal with initrd (I'm not), make sure you
compile support for your root filesystem into the kernel, and not as a
module. If your kernel can't read your root filesystem, it won't be
able to find the userspace software needed to load the bulk of your
OS.

Also, for a modern 2.6 kernel, you'll need a version of gcc more
recent than the 2.95.x version I mention. (Really, you should be safe
with the latest gcc version provided by your distro.)

http://grc4.org/lug/linux_kernel.pdf

As I put together the live presentation, I'll update this document.