[GRLUG] Itunes and France

proclus at gnu-darwin.org proclus at gnu-darwin.org
Sun Jul 2 20:15:38 EDT 2006

On  2 Jul, David Pembrook wrote:
> But are you saying that a company does not have a right to make
> something and own it? I love open source and thats a choice for me and
> many others. But if I make something the world wants, do they have a
> right to it by demanding it from me? Are intelectual rights obsolete?

What do you mean by intellectual right?  Copyright, patent, trade
secret?  The answer is different for each case, and such rights are
legally established, but also limited so that the public benefits.

I make the point in my FOSS and activism post that freedom and openness
are increasingly the correct choice for our human endeavors, and
that FOSS developers have shown the way.  I would say that 'demanding'
is the wrong word, as it would tend to limit speech, and people have a
right to ask you to do what they think is right.  The decision is
yours whether you will follow the advice, but there are now arenas where
we will be asking with increasing vociferousness.  It is necessary.

Regards,
proclus
http://www.gnu-darwin.org/