[GRLUG] IPv6

Andrew Keuhs chatwizrd at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 06:20:29 EST 2006

On 1/19/06, Tim Schmidt <timschmidt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/19/06, Benjamin Flanders <flanderb at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Good point, I reset the /etc/modprobe.d/aliases to what it was
> > originally and I still am unable to ping ::1/128.
> >
> > Is this correct? All I need to do is "ping ::1/128"? I get unknown host.
>
> I dug that information out of the Wikipedia's IPv6 article, I really
> have no idea.  :)  I need to do a little work with IPv6 soon though,
> so I'll google for it.
>
> --tim

To ping a local loopback on ipv6 you need to do as follows.

ping6 ::1

If you use the regular ping command it will only ping ipv4 ips. Also
ping6 ::1/128 will come back as unknown host. But if your machine has
the ping6 command it will be able to ping ::1 if it is enabled.

If your machine does not have the ping6 command I would check to see
if the ping command has an ipv6 option using man ping to see.

--

To properly disable ipv6 on ubuntu do the following:

Add the following lines to /etc/modprobe.conf

alias ipv6 off
alias net-pf-10 off

Then reboot.

--

As far as open ports netstat would be the most obvious choice to check
for open ports.

As I have never used ubuntu I have no clue how it lists open ports.

Try:

netstat -na | grep -i list

( This would check for lines that have the word LISTEN. This is how
they are listed on fedora. If it comes back with nothing just try a
netstat -na and look for any listening lines.)

Some linux machines also use a tool called lsof.

You could try the command:

lsof -i

--

Let me know if you still need more help.

Thanks

- Andrew Keuhs