[GRLUG] Client/Server Database app question

Chris Lamrock clamrock at nmtdie.com
Wed Jan 18 15:04:32 EST 2006

Hey guys,

We are using a very old windows based database program I wrote in Foxpro
2.5 - and updated in Visual foxpro 6.0 in 2001 or so.

I am thinking of a complete revamp and am also thinking about a
Client/Server type setup.

My thoughts are SQL with a web browser front end.  I haven't done anything
like this before but thought it might be a good/fun project.
This software is a database of job quotes and will have to print out a
single page quote perfectly formatted - as well as display it on the screen.
The software will allow the user to enter/add/print/view/delete and search
for documents.  My current version has about 6 databases.

Questions:

What would be a good language to write this in? Perl?

Is a "perfectly formatted document" printout doable from a web browser?

Thanks in advance!

-Chris