[GRLUG] monitor frequency on boot

Ron Lauzon rlauzon at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 15:59:45 EST 2006

Bob Kline wrote:
> I have an LCD monitor with a peak frequency of 75 Hz.  When I boot (
> latest version of
> Mandriva Linux ),  the monitor frequency is 85 MHz,  and the monitor
> simply announces
> that this is out of range.  At the login prompt,  which I of course
> cannot see,  I simply log in
> blind,  and then the settings for my login take over and all's well.
>
> The question is how I change the frequency of the system at log in.
> I did a switch to "su" after
> login in,  and looked at the settings,  but that shows 75 HZ too.  In
> fact,  the monitor frequency
> takes on several values during the boot process,   and I can see the
> entire boot process,  up
> to the point where the login screen comes up.
>
> So the question is really how I change the frequency at that point so
> I can see the login screen.
It sounds like the settings for X.org are incorrect.

They are in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  The Mhz of the monitor are pretty
clearly marked.  Just set them to what your monitor should be (of
course, copy off the old xorg.conf before you mess with it - just in case).

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
   Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/

   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

   "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
   audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
   sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Mandriva Linux 2005LE