[GRLUG] BIOS problems - Round 2

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 19:21:21 EST 2006

The machine has been back up and running for a week or so.
I wish I had a warm fuzzy,  educational,  inspirational  story to
go along with it,  but in fact,  after replacing the battery,  and
removing a number of peripherals,  the BIOS started functioning
again.  I loaded up the default setting, saved them,  and then
let the machine boot a ways a few times to make sure things were
still functioning that far.  I then went for broke and replaced all the
cables to the peripherals again.

Up it all came,  and has been doing so since.  I'll entertain the
notion that one of the cables had a corroded pin or two,  but really
can offer no useful insights.  Magic?   Good as anything.

Anyway,  thanks to Tim for a nice list of shakedown items.  In 10
years I've never had a problem like this. Going forward I'll be in a
better position to proceed if something similar happens again.

I still don't know what a "BIOS ROM checksum error"  points to,
but will be just as happy if I don't ever see it again.

   -Bob