[GRLUG] wep in linux

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 12:01:35 EST 2006

On 2/21/06, Topher <topher at wcsg.org> wrote:
> The theory is that if they know the key, they'll tell someone else, and
> then everyone will know it, and then why bother having a key at all?

Exactly.  Why have the key at all.

I'm sorry but WEP is not a technology an intelligent person (or group
of persons) would put to use.  Even in a strictly private setting with
two machines communicating wirelessly, WEP can be cracked in a
single-digit number of minutes.  You are asking for the same
technology to secure a very public and very much more active network.

I've actually written a little on the subject...  just dug the link
out of my wiki:
http://narrow-band.net/wiki/index.php/Campus_network_security

--tim